Saturday 31 March 2012

Halloumi Pasta

One of my absolute favorite recipes, originally found on the bbc food website, and originally created by Tony Tobin, and changed a bit by me. Every time I say I am making it, my sister goes crazy! It's a fantastic dish, though I would say to leave some time for chopping up and preparing the ingredients. Serves 4.


      Ingredients

4 tbsp olive oil
1 and ½ red onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
A pinch of dried chilli flakes
250g halloumi, cut into cubes (make them not too small - they'll melt)
4 tomatoes, seeds removed and finely chopped
425g penne pasta 
4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
A squeeze of tomato puree


Method
1. Boil some water in a big pan and add the pasta, cooking it for as long as the packet says

2. While this is happening, heat the olive oil in a frying pan until you can feel the heat when placing your fingers near. Add the onion, garlic and chilli flakes and fry until the onions have softened.

3. Add the halloumi and fry until golden (don't worry if it melts, just chop it up and separate it with a wooden spoon in the pan). Add the tomato puree.

4. Add the finely chopped tomato and basil, and mix on a low heat for a few minutes.

5.Add the sauce-thing to the pasta, season and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Hi - thanks for this recipe. I'm going to try it for tea tomorrow. I'm a vegetarian mum with meat eating (and fussy) husband and 2 kids. This sounds like something they might eat. Good luck with your cooking.

    ReplyDelete